William Iyamu, MD, PHD, of DeArk Medical Center is a board-certified internal medicine doctor. He received his Medical Training at the University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, KS in 2008 and then completed his Internal Medicine Internship at the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, NE, followed by Internal Medicine Residency Training at Meharry Medical College, Nashville, TN. He then served as Chief Medical Resident at Meharry Medical College for one year and received additional training in Hematology/Oncology at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR. After practicing as a Hospitalist at Baptist Hospital in Little Rock, AR, he then moved to Charlotte, NC to join the medical staff of The Carolinas Healthcare Systems (now ATRIUM HEALTH).
Prior to Medical School, Dr. Iyamu was an Assistant Professor of Research Hematology at the Children’s Mercy Hospital/University of Missouri Medical School, Kansas City, MO. And he has more than 15 peer-reviewed scientific publications from his research endeavor. Most importantly, Dr. Iyamu was the first physician-scientist to publish a research article on the use of the naturally occurring NIPRISAN in the treatment and management of sickle cell disease, which was approved as an orphan drug by the FDA:
- Iyamu EW, Turner EA and Asakura T: Niprisan (Nix-0699) improves the survival rates of transgenic sickle cell mice under acute severe hypoxic conditions. Brit J Haematol, 122:1001-1008, 2003.
- EW Iyamu, Turner EA, Asakura T: In vitro effects of Niprisan (Nix-0699): a naturally occurring, potent antisickling agent. British Journal of Hematology 2002, 118:337-343.
- United States Patent Office No. 5,800,819.
In view of his ground-breaking research findings, he was awarded, a 5-year NIH grant in 2004.
Dr. Iyamu has expertise in preventative health care and in the management of the medically complex patient including, but not limited to, those with hypertension, heart disease, chronic lung disease, and diabetes.
Dr. Iyamu’s Educational Background:
MD (Medicine) University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, Kansas, 2008
PHD (Biochemistry), John-Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt/M Germany, 1999
MS (Medical Biochemistry), John-Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt/M Germany, 1994
Dr. Iyamu’s Recent Awards and Honors:
- Scholarship recipient, Helen K Milligan Scholarship, University of Kansas School of Medicine
- Scholarship recipient, Arthur W. Gibson Scholarship, University of Kansas School of Medicine
- Scholarship recipient, John Trembly Foundation, University of Kansas School of Medicine
- Resident Travel Award, American Association for Cancer research, Chicago, IL
Membership in Professional and Scientific Societies:
- American College of Physician
- American Medical Association
- American Association for Cancer Research
- North Carolina Medical Society